Can Android be used with the Cochlear Nucleus Smart App?
Now for Android Users!
In the United States today, well over 50% of people who use smartphones own an Android product. We are excited to share that for the first time, Android users will be able to control their sound processor using the Nucleus Smart App. In addition, with the use of the phone clip, Android users can also benefit from streaming to their sound processor.
The Nucleus Smart App has been well-received. In a recent clinical trial, about 90% of users found it more convenient to control their Nucleus 7 Sound Processor with the Smart App, as compared to using a remote control. The app allows them to:
- Track their hearing progress. For the first time, our Android users will have access to their hearing data through Hearing Tracker, which will provide information on things such as coil offs and how much time they're spending in speech. That gives them greater involvement in customizing what they are listening to or making sure that they're doing things to keep that coil retained more often. They've got that control to view that data and act upon it.
- Control, adjust and monitor hearing. Using things such as bass, treble, master volume limit, and other types of fine tuning, the Smart App allows users to control, adjust and monitor their hearing, depending on the situation.
- Locate a lost sound processor. If your Android or Apple patients ever lose their Nucleus 7 Sound Processor, the "Find My Processor" feature can easily help them locate it.
Nucleus Smart App Operating System Requirements
Minimum specifications of the operating systems exist for use with the Nucleus Smart App. For Apple devices to use the Smart App, they should be running iOS 10.0 and above. You can pair the sound processor within the Settings on an Apple device, and control with the Smart App on an iPod or iPhone.
Compatible Apple devices include:
- iPod Touch 6th Generation
- iPhone SE, 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 7 and 7 Plus, 8 and X
- iPad compatible with MFi control and streaming (not Nucleus Smart App)
For Android products, devices should be running Lollipop 5.0 and Bluetooth 4 and above in order to use the Smart App. The current operating system is Oreo (if you’re not acquainted with Android nomenclature, their names proceed in alphabetical order). Unlike the iPhone where you pair the processor(s) to the phone prior to using the Smart App, for Android users, pairing occurs in the app and control of the sound processor(s) occurs in the app.
Given the hundreds of Android brands and models, it would be impossible to test every handset. However, we have verified that the following devices are compatible with the Nucleus Smart App:
- Samsung: Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S7
- Huawei: P8lite
- Google: Pixel
- LG: G6
- Lenovo: Moto G5
- HTC: U11
If your recipient’s device is not on this list but uses Android 5.0 and Bluetooth 4.0, there is a good chance that the Nucleus Smart App will work perfectly. Furthermore, if they're using an Android tablet instead of a phone, as long as they're in these later operating systems and have Bluetooth 4, they should be able to use that Android tablet as well.